The tax senior role will work collaboratively and efficiently to contribute to the overall achievement of the tax department objectives. This position works directly with clients, providing strategic consultative services and strengthening those relationships. The tax senior manages multiple engagements, communicating statuses in a timely manner and delegating work efficiently and effectively.
- Prepare more complex individual, corporate, and partnership income tax returns, property tax returns in addition to tax projections and provisions.
- Research issues and present pertinent guidance in support of suggested alternatives.
- Communicate the engagement status with the partner and/or the engagement lead in a timely and on-going basis and take responsibility of due dates and turnaround times.
- Provide timely and high-quality consultative service to clients that meets and/or exceeds client expectations.
- Respond to tax notices and complete initial drafts of letters as required.
- Make adjusting entries and complete a trial balance in order to prepare a tax return.
- Effectively amend returns and respond to notices in written communication.
- Supervise and train tax associates and interns on engagements, providing timely and constructive feedback.
- Complete or contribute to staff performance evaluations.
- Execute problem identification and problem solving, effectively delegating work responsibilities.
- Proactively manage project deadlines to ensure delivery of work product based on client expectations and statutory deadlines.
- Actively participates in firm recruiting events as requested to introduce and sell the firm to students and faculty.
- Take an active part in preparing and leading CPE events
- Attend professional development and continuing professional education training as scheduled.
Required Education and Skills
- Minimum of 2 years of public accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum accounting units as required for eligibility to obtain CPA license
- CPA license or actively pursuing CPA license
- General knowledge of trusts, estates and gift tax; strong knowledge of forming tax accruals and deferred tax.
- Strong customer service / interpersonal and client engagement skills and abilities
- Good analytical and research skills
- Dependability and strong work ethic
- Must be able to problem-solve, prioritize and manage multiple engagements under tight deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Familiar with tax processing systems such as ProSystems, Lacerte, GoFileRoom and Quickbooks
- Leadership, project management, mentoring and team building skills
- Self-motivated, driven, flexible and dedicated attitude
- Able to work independently and collaboratively with all levels of organization