Tax Tips to Help You Determine if your Gift is Taxable

By:  |  Category: Blog, Tax, Tax Planning Preparation Thursday, December 1st, 2016  |  No Comments
0 Shares 0 Flares ×

If you gave money or property to someone as a gift, you may wonder about the federal gift tax. Many gifts are not subject to the gift tax. Such gifts are often motivated by a desire to help family members as well as to reduce the size of an estate, said Brytni Gonzales, a WNDE tax manager.  Here are seven tax tips for gifts and the gift tax.

  1. Nontaxable Gifts. The general rule is that any gift is a Christmas presents that are non-taxable and taxabletaxable gift. However, there are exceptions to this rule. The following are nontaxable gifts:
  • Gifts that do not exceed the annual exclusion for the calendar year,
  • Tuition or medical expenses you paid directly to a medical or educational institution for someone,
  • Gifts to your spouse
  • Gifts to a political organization for its use, and
  • Gifts to charities.
  1. Annual Exclusion. For 2015, the annual exclusion is $14,000. Most gifts are not subject to the gift tax. For example, there is usually no tax if you make a gift to your spouse or to a charity. If you give a gift to someone else, the gift tax usually does not apply until the value of the gift exceeds the annual exclusion for the year.   don't worry it's tax free
  2. No Tax on Recipient. Generally, the person who receives your gift will not have to pay taxes on it.
  3. Gifts Not Deductible. Making a gift does not ordinarily affect your taxes. You cannot deduct the value of gifts you make (other than deductible charitable contributions).
  4. Forgiven Debt and Certain Loans. The gift tax may also apply when you forgive a debt or give a loan that is interest-free or below the market interest rate.
  5. Gift-Splitting. You and your spouse can give a gift up to $28,000 to a third party without making it a taxable gift. You can consider that one-half of the gift be given by you and one-half by your spouse.
  6. Filing Requirement. You must file Form 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, if any of the following apply:
  • You gave gifts to at least one person (other than your spouse) that amount to more  than the annual exclusion for the year.
  • You and your spouse are splitting a gift. This is true even if half of the split gift is less than the annual exclusion.
  • You gave someone (other than your spouse) a gift of a future interest that they can’t actually possess, enjoy, or from which they’ll receive income later.
  • You gave your spouse an interest in property that will terminate due to a future event.

WNDE’s Gonzales noted, “The easiest way to give to others is by utilizing the annual exclusion of $14,000.  You can give $14,000 to a child on December 31st and again on January 1st and your spouse can do the same as well.”

For more information, see Publication 559, Survivors, Executors, and Administrators. You can view, download and print tax products on anytime.

Each and every taxpayer has a set of fundamental rights they should be aware of when dealing with the IRS. These are your Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Explore your rights and our obligations to protect them on

IRS YouTube Videos:

Print Post
Leave a Comment
Share This
Read previous post:
California for small businesses tax seminar
California for Small Businesses … Are You In or Are You Out?

White Nelson Diehl Evans LLP (WNDE) is pleased to present California for Small Businesses … Are You in or Are...