Our office in Orange County provides service to the Los Angeles area...See Locations Details
White Nelson’s Managing Partner Participates in Business Growth Conference Panel Discussion
White, Nelson & Co. LLP’s Managing Partner Dave Doran participated in the “All in the Family,” panel discussion relating to issues in family businesses, at the 27th annual Business Growth Conference on Monday, May 9 at the Anaheim Marriott. The conference was presented by the USC Marshall School of Business and Harvard Business School Alumni Associations of Orange County. www.bgc2011.org
Running a family business is rewarding, challenging, and potentially divisive. It can bring a family together or pull it apart. The panel discussion was titled “All In The Family: Family Legacy or Epitaph?” and addressed issues such as:
• Can you clearly separate your business role from your family role?
• How about making sure that family time is kept focused and not mixed with business issues?
• Have you ever wondered how to bring a spouse, child, or even a parent into our business? Or maybe more importantly, how to keep them out (or even kick them out) if they don’t have what it takes to get the job done?
• Do you have an exit strategy that includes succession planning as well as estate and tax planning?
• How and when do you bring in non-family members as part of the management team?
“Dave has a wealth of experience working with successful family owned businesses and he enjoyed sharing his insights,” remarked Scott Jones, Director of Practice Development. Jones served as moderator for “Business Plans that Get Funded,” another panel discussion at the conference.
Dave Doran is a Cal State Fullerton graduate and CPA with over 35 years of public accounting experience. He works with clients in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, financial services and health services. He’s active in a variety of professional and civic organizations, and serves on the Board of the Irvine Chamber of Commerce.